English 2023 or English TLM 2023 The current curriculum emphasizes child-centered learning and the pedagogy has shifted from teaching to formation. Adequate teaching learning material is necessary to understand the concepts.
The learner has some previous knowledge of vocabulary and can use simple sentences in their home language. Teaching learning material enables children to participate/engage in the learning process. The teacher should prepare to collect TLM according to the age and level of the child.
Teachers should prepare TLMs from locally available materials to impart language skills to the students. Let’s take a look at some useful TLMs at a basic level.
1. Pictorial Maps : Fruits, Vegetables, Animals, Birds, Games and Play Things, Different Shapes, Foods of Plants and Animals, Types of Minus, Occupations, Types of Games, Transportable, Musical Instruments, Different Types of Houses, Fiber cloth.
- Chart showing: parts of speech, collective nouns, tenses, ‘b’ forms, auxiliary verbs (modals).
- Toys kit animals, birds.
- Shabdkosh Classroom Dictionary, Pocket Dictionary, Pictorial Dictionary, Thesaurus Dictionary, Visual Dictionary.
- Literary sources are story books, story cards, flash cards, poems translated into English.
- Finger Puppets and Masks.
- CDs of action songs and rhymes and cartoons.
- Stationery Sketch, Crayon, Water Colour, Panel Board, Drawing Pin, Drawing Sheet, Brush.
- Digital Equipment Tape Recorder, TV, Projector, Screen, Computer, Tab, Digital Classroom, Virtual Classroom
- Dictionary – English to Telugu and English to Telugu.
- Shashi Kumar speaks English.
- National Book Trust – Children’s Literature (Story Books) – 20.
- Vivekam Mass Magazine / Chandamama / Champak.
- Pen Drive (Memory Stick).
- Stationery (glue, tape, scissors, scales, marker).
- Teaching English 3 – 11 (The Essential Guide) by Cathy Burnett and Julia Myers.
- 200 color chart.
- DVD – 5.
UP & High School :
Telugu/Hindi/English & EVS TLM
- English Role Play by Gillian Porter-Lados – 1
- Teaching & Aids Grammar by Scott Thornbury – 1
- Medium of English by Sheelagh Deller & Christine Price Teaching other subjects from –
- Collins Dictionary – 2.
- Dictionary of Idioms and Phrases.
- Phonetic Dictionary by Daniel Jones – 2.
- English Conversation and Learning – 2.
- 10 DVDs on Poems/Songs.
- Tuition for Intuition by KN Anandan – 1.
- Overhead Projector.
- Unit Transaction (Class Process) DVD developed by SCERT.
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Thesaurus.
- English Newspaper.
- Illustrated story books by Indian authors – based on Ramayana and Mahabharata.
- English magazines for children – Champak, Chandamama.
- 200 Chart.
- Sketch Pen Set – 12.
- Glue – 6.
- Brown Tape – 4.
- Scissors – 2.
- Spoken English by Shashi Kumar – 2.
- Pendrive (Memory Stick).
- English Reading Card – 400 (EFLU & Orient Black Swan).
- The DVD contains text book based songs developed by SCERT.
- English CD developed at RIE, Bangalore.
- Young World (by The Hindu Newspaper).
- Teacher’s Handbooks developed by SCERT and RVM from 2005-2014.
- Activities for learning grammar. A practical guide for teachers – Penny Ur.
- Teaching Large Multigrade Classes – Natalie Hein.
- Learner Autonomy in the English Classroom – Paul Lennon (Ed.)
- Teaching Speaking – The Holistic Approach – Jack C. Richards (Cambridge Language Publishing).
- Literature in the Language Classroom – A Resource Book of Ideas (Cambridge University Press).
- Five Minute Activities by Penny Ur (Cambridge University Press).
- Professional Development for Language Teachers (Cambridge University Press).
- Classic English (Short Stories) (Cambridge University Press).
- Elements of Children’s Literature by Sharmila Sinha (National Book Trust of India).
- Story Books English (National Book Trust of India) – 30 books.
- EVS resource materials ,
- Telugu resource materials
- Hindi resource materials
- CCE Records, Registers and Resources for Teaching New Textbooks
many types of teaching learning materials (TLMs) that can be used to support the teaching and learning of English in the classroom . Some examples of TLM for English are:
- Textbooks: Textbooks can provide students with a broad overview of English language concepts and can be used as a reference resource.
- Worksheets: Worksheets can provide students with practice problems and can be used to understand English language concepts.
- Reading Material: Reading material such as novels, short stories and essays can be used to help students develop their reading comprehension skills and expand their vocabulary.
- Videos: Videos can be used to introduce English language concepts, demonstrate correct pronunciation and grammar, and provide additional examples and explanations.
- Online Resources: There are many online resources such as websites and apps that can provide interactive activities and practice problems to the students.
- Audio Materials: Audio materials such as podcasts and audiobooks can be used by students to help them develop their listening comprehension skills and expand their vocabulary.
It is important to choose a TLM that is in line with the curriculum and is appropriate for the age and ability level of the students. It also helps to vary the types of TLMs used to support different learning styles and to keep students engaged.